Friday, August 27, 2010

why "elephants of grace"



This is my wonderful family--those that continue to teach me about God's grace every day.

For my first post, I thought I would explain the title "elephants of grace." Actually, I chose the title for two reasons. First, my first choices were already taken: Naked Grace and Elephants in the Room. Regarding "naked grace," I spent so much time over the years qualifying grace whenever I spoke of it as a minister, that when it appeared to me in its "naked" unqualifed form, I was blown away. And I started to write a book that I titled "Elephants in the Room." This has to do with the questions that I ignored over the years that loomed larger and larger as grace was dawning on my consciousness. Sooner or later I had to face the elephants and honestly answer the questions that they posed. So, this blog is called "elephants of grace," because the questions that I had to answer all revolved around God's grace, and how I had qualifed, minimized, and even belittled it for over 20 years. In the coming weeks I hope to address those elephants in this blog, and maybe help others to address their own elephants. Something that my former pastor used to say is so true: "You don't have to be afraid of the truth." You really don't. In fact, the truth will set you free.

1 comment:

  1. I was wondering about the title! Great choice. There are a few "elephants in the room," aren't there... with regards to grace, I think that's why the Bible calls Christ "the rock of offence" because grace is offensive--to think that we don't have to "do" anything for God to save us. Well, that's only the tip of the iceberg on grace. And salvation, for that matter. Thanks for directing me to your blog.

    ReplyDelete